Sunday 23 October 2016

Gloucester Pie Recipe

Way back at the end of July I had some visitors (my flat is pretty much "Hotel De Double Dom")
I wanted to make a few meals cheaply and easily, so I found my old (OLD) dairy book of home cookery by Sonia Allison, it's not my mothers its mine!

I found this recipe in the vegetarian dishes section, it's basically a savoury bread n butter pudding, it went down a storm and not a morsel was left in the dish! When I went googling for this recipe I could only find a "westcountry meat pie", so other than the cheese used I'm not sure where this originally  came from so here it is, do get in touch if you made one yourself

Gloucester Pie  (From the Dairy Book of Home Cookery 1978 Edition)
8 Slices of Bread (Day old for preference)
Butter
100g Double Gloucester Cheese
250g Skinned Tomatoes (I didn't! just used plain)
150 ml Milk
1 Standard egg
1 Level teaspoon made mustard
1/4 Level teaspoon salt
Shake of pepper
Extra 25g butter

1. Cut the crusts from the bread and butter
2. Make sandwiches with the cheese and tomato slices (I grated the cheese!)
3. Cut each sandwich into four triangles arrange in a buttered shallow heatproof dish
4. Beat milk & egg together with the mustard, salt and pepper to taste
5. Pour into the dish over the sandwiches
6. Leave to stand for about half an hour or until the bread has soaked up all the liquid, dot the extra bits of butter on top
7. Bake just above the center of a moderately hot oven (190c/375f or Gas mark 5 adjust for fan ovens like myself I turned it down to 180) for 25 to 30 minutes (or until top is golden)
8. Serve (the book says with a green vegetable or salad but we just had peas)


Our delicious Gloucester Pie

Till next time 

xx Miss Double Dom

No comments:

Post a Comment